Welcome to Spring from Assistant Dean Abigail Kies

Hi All. Welcome back! It was great to see some of you at the Welcome Back Hot Chocolate Monday. Winter “break” is often busy with your job search, and I hope each of you also took time to unwind and relax a bit. Whether you accepted an offer months ago, have an offer already and are making a decision, are applying and interviewing, or just about to start your search, our team is here to support you.

One of my favorite things about working at Yale SOM is getting to know you. Throughout the rest of the year, I’m hosting a series of lunches. Bring any questions you have about the CDO or just come to get to know us. Details for the first few are in CMS – please join me and my colleagues.

We know it’s competitive out there, and employers have been singing your praises. Keep it up! If you’re just getting started, that’s okay too. To put this time of year in perspective, historically, over 30% of post-graduation and 70% of internship offers are received February or later. From the information we have so far, this year is tracking similarly. As in every year, there are many amazing opportunities to come!

The news is filled with dour predictions, uncertainty with the economy, and devastating global situations, and that impacts all of you. Every week another large company announces layoffs. However, while those large organizations make headlines, most of them also continue to hire (albeit scaled back). More importantly, while the giant companies make news, most of the world, and most Yale SOM alumni, work for other organizations that aren’t experiencing that degree of volatility. There are many employers eager to hire you, and my team and I continue to hear from recruiters daily. It is certainly competitive out there, and we’re here to work with you to make sure you stand out. We have a full spring planned including ExploreSOM to network virtually with alumni, HireSOM NYC to meet employers across industries, and many job postings, coffee chats, and other engagements. Stay tuned to CMS and Slack to keep up with all the activity!

Keep supporting each other, working together, and reach out with any questions! I look forward to seeing you at lunch soon too!

Abigail R. Kies (she, her, hers)
Assistant Dean, Career Development Office
abigail.kies@yale.edu

By Audrey Hupp
Audrey Hupp Associate Director of Operations and Program Manager, Career Education & Coaching